Grab a cute mini-bundt pan like this one from Barking Birds and a lovely plate from Cloth and Patina and make some adorable old fashioned strawberry shortcakes!
Ingredients for shortcake:
3 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
Ingredients for whipped cream:
1/2 pint of whipping cream
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside and place in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour cake pan.
3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan, filling only two-thirds full for each bundt. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack. I had to adjust the baking time for these mini's, so keep a close watch even for 10 min! I suggest the least amount of time and KEEP checking!!
5. Combine ingredients for whipped cream. Cream with mixer. Be careful not to overbeat or else it will get thick like butter. When it begins to thicken, add sugar and vanilla; stir. Refrigerate, this will help thicken it too.
6. Remove cakes and slice a little bit from the bottom so that they are rest a little more flat. Place whipped cream on top, then strawberries. Dribble with left over strawberry juice!
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE!!